Welcome to the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology!
This website is intended for incoming students who plan to register or already have registered at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Fakultät für Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik). The follwing section will give you some short introduction to prepare your stay at KIT.
The Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
The Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology consists of 17 separate institutes. Each of them has its own research focus and together they cover almost the complete area of electrical engineering from electric energy systems and automation engineering to materials science and information and communication technology. Here you can find an overview about the institutes together with a short introduction of each.
To obtain more information about the KIT in general and to make a good start here, you can find a lot of information on the website of the International Office. Furthermore, there is the AK-Erasmus student group which provides a lot of information on their website too.
- International Office: For administrational Problems (e.g. enrollment, housing) not concerning your choice of courses
- Erasmus Coordinators: For changes in your Learning Agreement
- MPA (Examination Office): Registration and Transcript of Records
The lecture period in Germany starts quite late compared to other european countries. If you plan your stay, please make sure your are still in Kalrsruhe when exams take place. The periods are normally
- Winter Term:
- Lecture Period: End of October - Middle of February
- Exam Period: Middle of February - Middle of April
- Summer Term:
- Lecture Period: Middle of April - End of July
- Exam Period: End of July - Middle of October
The exact dates for each year can be found here
All courses offered by the university can be found in the online University Calendar:
Additionally, all lectures offered by the Department of Electrical Engineering can be found in our Module Handbook:
And we also provide a list of all lectures given in english by our department:
There are three different kinds of courses:
- Lectures (Vorlesungen):
- You do not have to attend lectures, however, we recommend you to do
- You do not have to register to attend the lectures
- Tutorials / Excercises (Tutorien / Übungen):
- Supplemental to the lectures, also facultative but recommended
- Cannot be taken without the lecture
- Laboratories / Seminars (Praktika / Seminare):
- You must register! The application/registration procedure is different from course to course and usually takes place shortly before the lectures start. Look online or write an e-mail to the person in charge
- After registration, attendance is compulsory!
- Places are limited and cannot be guaranteed. Therefore, only one Laboratory per semester is allowed and we strongly recommend you to look for an alternative course in advance, in case you do not get a place in the lab.
- There are two kinds of exams:
- Written exams
- Oral exams
- Ask the lecturer what kind of exam will be held
- In order to register for exams
- Register as an Erasmus student at the MPA (Masterprüfungsausschuss)
- Get a blue sheet (Prüfungszulassung) from the MPA for each exam
- Ask the lecturer or his/her office how to register with a blue sheet
- Make sure you are still in Karlsruhe for the exam
- Dates for oral exams can sometimes be arranged with the lecturer
- Remember to register for the exam in time
- You can change your Learning Agreement at any time of your stay. (Make sure that‘s also ok with your home university!)
German Language Courses
In order to improve your German skills we recommend you to participate in a pre-semester German language course and/or in a course during the semester:
- Pre-semester German langauge course (3 weeks, 4 ECTS, 75 €)
- German language course during the semester (during the semester, 4-8 ECTS, free of charge)
Further Information can be found here.