Demonstration of Communication System Using Metasurface at 28GHz
- Forschungsthema:Communication technology, antenna design and measurements
- Typ:Bachelor or Master thesis
- Datum:from now
Introduction of the work:
The Hybrid Adaptive Beamforming Systems using programmable Metasurfaces (METABEAM) project aims to realize different concepts for communication systems. Due to the benefits of large bandwidth, communication system at 28GHz (27.5-28.35GHz) has been licensed as a US standard. Once related to high frequency technology, communication systems with high directivity antennas are required against higher path loss. As a solution, a metasurface contains 20x20 controllable unit patches is able to realize steerable high directional beamforming. Based on this property, communication systems using metasurface technology have potential for further breakthrough innovations.
Figure1: Coding metamaterials can allow steering of a scattering beam to arbitrarily pre-designed direction 
Aims of the work:
In this work, an entire communication systems given by the figure below will be implemented and measured, which contains the following aspects:
- The beam pattern measurements of metasurfaces. Since metasurfaces are regarded as transmit array, the farfield performance of them is the most crucial topic of the work.
- System set up using the devices at IHE. This stage includes interfaces and control circuits of the system.
- Digital signal processing on software overlay. The software defined radio (SDR) is controlled by the software Matlab and GNU radio on the host PC.
- Overall system performance measurements. Measure the system based on communication standards, including SNR, error rate, channel capacity, etc...
- Further communication algorithms and scenarios realizations. The metasurfaces have more possibility like multiple beams generation, fast steering, etc...
Figure2: Communication system block diagram using metasurface
- Basic knowledge of communication systems and antennas.
- Proficiency usage of Matlab simulation.
- Programming skills using C++ or Python.